19 May, 2011

Home made chocolate spread and strawberry-rhubarb jam

A couple of weeks ago, I had some of my favourite people in the world round for brunch. I got up at 7 am to start baking my no-knead pot bread, and my guests arrived at 10. With the bread I served this home made jam and chocolate spread, which my sister and I had prepared the night before, much to the liking of my sugar-hungry guests!



Strawberry-rhubarb jam (makes a huge portion, I forze about 3/4):

500 grams fresh strawberries
500 grams fresh rhubarb
Sugar

Cut the fruit into pieces. I don't like lumps of fruit in my jam, so I cut the pieces quite small. Combine fruit and sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. There's no need to add any liquid, as the fruit gives off quite a lot of liquid as it heats up. I have to admit I'm not sure how much sugar we used, but it wasn't much. I would suggest starting with a few tablespoonfuls, and adding more to taste as you go along. Leave the jam to boil until it thickens, about 20-25 minutes, and stir every once in a while. Once the jam has reached your preferred consistency, skim the foam off the top and poor the jam into a sterilised jar. I haven't yet bothered finding out how to properly seal the jars, so I kept one portion in the fridge and ate it fast, and froze the rest for later.


Chocolate spread (made one portion):

100 grams dark chocolate (70%)
100 grams milk chocolate
200 ml double cream
50 grams salted butter

Break the chocolate into small pieces, and place it in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the chocolate. In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Once it's boiling, pour it over the chocolate and butter, leave it for about five minutes, then stir with a whisk until reaches a smooth consistency. Pour it into a jar and leave it in the fridge to cool down.

1 comment:

  1. Richmond hill country club estate offers intimate indoor and outdoor settings, for fifty to three hundred guests, with sweeping vistas overlooking floral and wooded backdrops. The cuisine is inspired. French service is available to banquet halls accentuate the chef’s suitably refined and customized international menus.
    We tend to the details, so you can look ahead to the future.banquet

    ReplyDelete